Meridian Bridge replacement nears, road closure set for April 17 to Sep. 15
April 12, 2023
Meridian Cemetery Road near Willow Creek will be closed to through traffic from April 17 to September 15.
The closure will go into effect to allow for the replacement of the Meridian Bridge, a two-span steel truss bridge constructed in 1914. Through traffic must use Williams Bridge Road or Frontage Road during the closure.
In September 2022, Battle Ridge Contracting was awarded the bid for the bridge replacement for $1,796,232.50.
The funding for the new bridge is a joint effort between Gallatin County ($460,051), Jefferson County ($345,038), and Broadwater County ($115,013), as well as funding from the Treasure State Endowment Program. In 2021, the project was awarded a $750,000 grant from the TSEP program.
In the application for the TSEP grant, deficiencies listed for the bridge were:
* The posted weight limit on the bridge is nine tons.
* The bridge is too narrow for two-way traffic.
* The steel truss has moderate corrosion throughout, with areas of pack rust.
* Intermediate pier columns are split at the top and leaning to the south.
* North abutment has exposed rebar on wing walls and undermining of abutment wall.
* South abutment has areas of significant concrete spalling.
* Moveable bearing on the southeast corner of the bridge has no room for expansion.
* Timber deck has minor checking and extensive wear on the north half.
* No approach rail is present.
More information about the project can be found at https://seaeng.wixsite.com/meridian.
In other area bridge news, the Gallatin County Commission last week approved Battle Ridge Contracting to remove the Williams Bridge following flood damage in 2022. The bid for the project was $118,900.
There are no current plans to replace the bridge.
ROAD WEIGHT LIMITS
Due to deteriorating road conditions, the Gallatin County Road Department has placed temporary 16-ton weight limits on the following roads until further notice:
• Crowley Road – Entire length
• Madison Road – From Buffalo Jump Road north to Frontage Road/Interstate-90
You can find the complete list of county roads that are currently subject to weight restrictions here: https://bit.ly/3nM35IH
For questions, call the Gallatin County Road Department at 406-582-3250.